5 must-see places in tokyo for photographers
Tokyo is the best city in the world when it comes to photography. When you have a country that manufactures some of the largest photography brands in the world (Canon, Nikon…), it makes sense that photography is a pretty big part of Japanese culture.
Living in Japan made me a better photographer because I was constantly exposed to new equipment and the art world.
If you’re a photographer or love photography, the next time you’re in Tokyo, you should think about visiting one of these fun Tokyo Photography Travel locations!
5 Must See Tokyo Photography Travel Locations
1. Shinjuku Camera Town
2. The Hara MuseumThe Hara Museum has long been one of Tokyo’s premier contemporary art museums. This world gallery houses works from world-class artists and is an important piece of the art world. Directions: 15 minute walk from Shinagawa Station
- HOURS: 11:00 – 17:00 (Wednesdays until 20:00); Closed Mondays and New Year holidays
- ADMISSION: ¥1100
3. The Photographer’s Bar in Golden Gai, Kodoji
4. Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of PhotographyLocated in Ebisu, this is a Tokyo photography location not to miss! It hosts exhibitions of famous photographers from around the world. This museum, however has been under an extensive renovation for over a year, but it opens again in Fall of 2016! Directions: Just take the train to Ebisu station
5. National Art Center Tokyo
If you’re heading to Tokyo soon, I highly recommend my book Hidden Tokyo. It’s filled with tons of insights on a range of activities around Tokyo. It also helps to explain this complex city better by dissecting 18 different major neighborhoods into chapters, with around 400 pages of pure Tokyo insight & recommendations. It lays out the city in a way that you can grasp!